How the Mentally Strong Handle Hard Times
With recent MRI results coming back on my son, we were disappointed to say the least. It takes a few days to process the possibility of him having brain surgery for the second time. What he and I won’t do however, is sit around and feel sorry for ourselves and do nothing. We have come to understand that there are certain characteristics that most or all mentally strong people utilize when hard times fall their way.
1. They focus on what they can control -even if it’s just their attitude in approaching a difficult situation
2. They create a course of action-they figure out what the possible solutions are and get to work on what they need to do. They keep moving!
3. They practice gratitude-morning|noon|night-it’s tough to see the rainbow through the clouds so they look closer at the small things around them that they are grateful for such as taking a walk with their dog, a call from a distant friend.
4. They evaluate their priorities-while experiencing loss and hardships, one must always remember as Stephen Covey calls them, the big rocks or what is most important in their lives; it may be their health, family, job etc… take care of the big rocks.
5. They draw on their inner strength-they remain committed to having a positive outlook and staying the course til the storm calms no matter how long this may take.
It is often in the worst of times that we discover the scars we have endured are our strengths| the miles we’ve run are our determination to never quit| the difficult situations we face are opportunities to find the positives| and walking through our fears is how we develop the courage to carry on~